News

Josephine Karungi quits NTV Uganda

Ms. Karungi has resigned from NTV Uganda after landing a consultancy job with World Bank (PHOTO/Courtesy)

KAMPALA — Popular News anchor Josephine Karungi has quit NTV Uganda, a station she has served for over 15 years.

Karungi a popular television personality since October 2018 been serving as the Head of News, at NTV Uganda , in acting capacity.

Ms. Karungi has resigned from NTV Uganda after landing a consultancy job with World Bank.

The development was confirmed by Sheila Kulubya, the outgoing World Bank Communication’s officer in Uganda. In her farewell message, Kulubya indicated that she has been posted to Geneva, Switzerland as external affairs officer of the World Bank Group office.

Kulubya has been replaced by Keziah Muthembwa who will be assisted by Josephine Karungi who joins as a consultant.

In one of the WhatsApp Groups where Karungi and this writer are members, she personally confirmed that she will be leaving the station.

Ms. Karungi joined NTV Uganda in 2009 as an English language news anchor.

She has also worked as a television producer and as presenter of the Sunday night lifestyle television talk show, Perspective With Josephine Karungi.

In October 2018, she was appointed Head of News at NTV Uganda, replacing Maurice Mugisha, who was hired by Uganda Broadcasting Corporation, as their new Deputy managing director.

Josephine Karungi is married to Vince Musisi, a Ugandan record producer.

Ms. Karungi has left at time when employees at Nation Media Group outlets in Uganda are uncertain about their future after the company announced that it would be re-organising itself to become more efficient, a polite way of saying they will be laying off some staff members.

In a statement dated March 25, 2021 issued by Tony Glencross, the managing director of NMG in Uganda, the company said its performance had been greatly affected by Covid-19 and even the several cost-cutting measures instituted had not been quite successful.

Glencross said under the circumstances, the company will have to make radical changes in its operations and change its business model from “traditional advertising to content-driven revenue.”

This, he said, will “regrettably… result in a reduction of our workforce effective Wednesday, March 31, 2021.”

“This is an extremely difficult decision especially in view of the prevailing circumstances and the impact it will have on those affected and their families,” Glencross’ statement read in part.

NMG said that it will offer counselling services to those affected by the changes in addition to medical insurance until the end of June this year.

Click to comment

Dear our estimated reader, what is your take about this topic?

Most Popular

To Top