News

Museveni to address nation again on Ebola as five health workers are discharged after full recovery

Some of the health workers who were discharged at Entebbe Hospital (PHOTO/Courtesy)

Some of the health workers who were discharged at Entebbe Hospital (PHOTO/Courtesy)

President Museveni will this Wednesday, October 12th, address the nation to give updates on the status of Ebola in the country.

The President’s address is the second in two weeks, as the country continues to battle the deadly disease.

The President’s address was announced by his press secretary, Sandor Walusimbi, who said it will be live on TV and radios starting at 8pm on Wednesday.

This comes after the Ministry of Health on Tuesday, 11 October 2022, discharged five health workers whom it said had recovered from Ebola.

“By the Grace of God, we have discharged 5 more patients that have been undergoing treatment for Ebola, at Entebbe Isolation Unit. These are our health workers that were referred from Mubende to Fort Portal and later on here. Let’s continue to be vigilant as we deal with this,” Dr Diana, the Ministry of Health Permanent Secretary, tweeted.

This comes as the Health Ministry said there is a decline in the number of new cases of Ebola infections in the country and that the virus has not spread beyond five districts.

The announcement followed the international health alerts and some forms of travel restrictions on passengers from Uganda, which were introduced by the governments of the United States of America and the United Kingdom over the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in Uganda.

The Ministry declared the outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) on September 20 and since then, a total of 44 have contracted the infection which has so far killed 10.

Since October 2, the country has only reported one new case of infection and one new death. At least 7 people have recovered from the virus which kills between 25 percent and 90 percent of the infected persons. This is higher than the Covid-19 case fatality rate of around 3 percent.

Dr Atwine said the measures they established to fight the outbreak are working. “Government of Uganda and its partners have put measures to control the disease. The number of cases has since declined. All the contacts within Mubende and the neighbouring districts have been identified and isolated and are being followed on a daily basis,” she added.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 × five =

To Top