Dear Honorable Minister,
RE: COMPLAINT AGAINST INJUSTICE INFLICTED ON STUDENTS OF ACADEMIC YEAR 2019-2020 BY THE LAW DEVELOPMENT CENTRE:
I am a student at the Law Development Centre academic year 2019-2020 and hereby complain as follows;
1. That following the meeting held by the management committee on the 28th May, 2021 in accordance with rule 34(2) of the rules of passing the bar course the academic registrar is mandated to publish results within 3 working days from the date of the meeting.
2. That it is to my dismay that on the 2nd June, 2021 only names of students eligible to graduate, names of students doing retakes and those discontinued were published.
3. That according to the academic registrar’s email to students dated 2nd June, 2021, the academic year 2019/2020 had 1518 students in total. 84 students passed in Kampala Campus and 937 students failed, 61 students passed at Mbarara campus and 436 failed. The total number of students that passed in the afore mentioned academic year are 145 in total and those that failed are 1373.
4. That in the said list 373 students were discontinued from LDC and told to pick their letters of discontinuation on the 4th day of June, 2021 without any results shown to them, 1000 students were directed to pay 300,000/= for each supplementary subject effective 3rd June 2021. And as per the LDC directions, students doing supplementary in category A subjects were to commence orals on the 14th June 2021 had it not been for the suspension of learning by the President due to the raging pandemic. Indeed it was a deliberate abuse of principles of fairness and natural justice by LDC management when it dismissed students who gave in their time, money and dedication before showing them any results.
5. That in light of paragraph 5 line 6 herein above, the fore going connotes that students were most likely to do retakes without certainty of their academic status. Since from the directions of LDC management results are to be released on the 15th day of June, 2021 one day after the scheduled date for doing supplementary for those LDC purports to have failed and 4 days after graduation.
6. That from the time we entered LDC none of the students has ever seen his or her mark for weekly individual assessment which constitute 20% of the total mark, Oral exams which constitute 30% of the total mark and final exams which constitute 50% of the total mark.
7. That efforts by the students demanding publication of the results from the LDC management before graduation have been rendered futile. The academic Registrar had promised students that results would be released on 7th June, 2021 however nothing happened because LDC does not have the same. Hence LDC went on to conduct graduation of students without any results released.
8. That LDC management maintains the position that it will publish results on the 15th day of June, 2021 4days after graduation and 18days after the legal provision for release of the results.
9. That LDC conducted graduation without any students marks and therefore the same was conducted in default and in complete disregard of the rules of passing the bar course.
10. That LDC’s intention to publish results 4days after graduation is treated with the greatest contempt from students in as far as students are not sure whether LDC management will not alter results to justify the position they gave in the media. Accordingly I am not certain or convinced whether LDC will publish actual results.
11. In the circumstances that results are released and confirmed to be genuine, supplementaries should be scheduled as soon as we resume school and subsequently schedule for our graduation.
12. That LDC reinstates the cumulative grading methods to enable early preparation by students for final results. It should promptly release of results to ensure transparency in results management.
13. That students were directed to pay 200,000/=( Two hundred thousand Uganda shillings) each translating to 303,600,000/=(Three hundred three million six hundred thousand Uganda shillings) of the 1518 students for compulsory lawyers’ dinner however the same did not take place and none of the students were refunded their money.
14. That in the Director’s interview with independent magazine dated 10th June, 2021 concedes that they were incapable of delivering results by 11th June, 2021 due to the busy academic schedule. However, he states that results are not a precondition to graduation, I contend that the position by the director is a great contempt on reason as graduation is the summit of the academic study thus results released after graduation hold less integrity and value for those that didn’t make it on the purported list of those eligible to graduate. The purpose of releasing results before graduation is to give room for those dissatisfied with results to lodge complaints to the appropriate forum. Results are primary to graduation. It follows therefore that when graduation precedes results, the same may influence results yet it should be otherwise.
15. That there several complaints from some already practicing advocates about the increasing number of advocates, about the rising competition in legal practice. Hence attempts to regulate the number of students getting in practice through malice in the disguise of maintaining standards.
WHEREFORE I pray that:
(a) The integrity of students’ results is protected before the same is published on the 15th day of June, 2021. As I suspect that LDC is likely to make up results in order to justify its unfounded list of the students who passed, failed and those that were illegally discontinued.
(b) That an audit is conducted in naked conduct of LDC which purported to have released results and went ahead to extort money from students in form of payment for supplementary for failed subjects for non-existent results hence misleading the public.
(c) That an investigation is conducted in regard to sums that were paid by students to LDC as payment for compulsory students’ dinner which was not held.
(d) Immediate dismissal of LDC top management for holding students in the dark about their marks yet the same went a head to dismiss over 300 students and allocating failed subjects against the names of other students without proof.
(e) That it is just, fair and equitable that the issues raised by the complainant herein are treated with urgency and addressed by your ministry.
I pray that this complaint is given your due consideration.
Cc: Parliament Of The Republic Of Uganda
Cc: Director Law Development Centre
Cc: Head Bar Course.
ALL STUDENT THAT WERE UNFAIRY DISMISSED.
“THE HUMAN DIGNITY IS NOT FOR SALE”