President Yoweri Museveni will address the nation today , Sunday June 6 to announce the way forward in Uganda’s quest to contain the pandemic.
“I will address the country today on the resolutions and measures passed by the National Task Force on Covid-19. Tune in to the different radio and TV stations across the country starting at 8:00pm to follow the address,” Mr Museveni tweeted Sunday.
The Daily Monitor quoting unnamed sources reported that “an absolute lockdown was deliberated as an option far from consideration with the FY2021/22 budget in sight.”
Mr Museveni who said Friday that Uganda was entering a new wave ‘‘with a wider spectrum of dangerous new variants’’ is expected to issue several measures warranting amplified enforcement of Covid-19 SOPs.
Meanwhile, three patients have succumbed to coronavirus (COVID-19) at Masaka Regional Referral Hospital in three days.
The deceased (all males) aged 16, 19 and 60 years, were admitted on Monday in critical condition.
Dr. Nathan Onyach, the hospital director, told journalists that they deceased passed away on different days.
According to Onyach, all three were in the intensive care unit due to difficulty in breathing.
The three were the first deaths to be recorded since the second wave hit the region.
However, the hospital had not received any COVID-19 case since February 24, until this week when they received five patients.
He said they received 4,600 COVID doses, but they have run out, yet the number of people in need of the jabs keeps growing every day.
He added that even the stores at the district headquarters are empty, but they are in touch with the district health authorities to ensure they get more vaccines.
“It is unfortunate that we have started losing people to the second wave of COVID-19. And due to complacency, we expect to receive more cases, yet we have run out of vaccines,” he said.
So far, at least forty-two COVID-19 patients are receiving treatment at their homes and are being monitored by the village health teams.
Obadiya Musimenta, the district internal security officer and member of the COVID task force, said they do not have the capacity to save dozens of COVID patients if people neglect themselves.
“COVID-19 is still here and the new wave is tougher than the first one. I appeal to the public to respect and protect against infection,” he said.
However, Musimenta noted that they are working out modalities to enforce the standard operating procedures set by the health ministry.