Gen Elly Tumwine is alive but fighting for life, says family - UG Standard - Latest News
News

Gen Elly Tumwine is alive but fighting for life, says family

Security Ministry General Elly Tumwine

Former Security minister Gen Elly Tumwine is not dead (PHOTO/Courtesy)

KAMPALA — Bush war hero, Gen Elly Tumwine is alive, the family has said—dismissing rumours making rounds on weekend that the former security minister is dead.

The family in a statement issued on Gen Tumwine’s social media accounts including Twitter said on Saturday night that the former security minister, 68 is alive but declined to give details.

“On behalf of the family of Gen. Tumwine, we hereby dispel rumours circulating on social media in regards to his health and well-being. Thank you for the love and prayers,” a statement shared by the family also copied to military spokesperson indicted.

Another brief statement separately shared by a family member, Barbra Ankunda Kamukama said Gen Tumwine was alive but fighting for life at a city hospital.

“Gen. Elly Tumwine is alive though not well. Kindly disregard the false news circulating on social media [that he dead] Ankunda said.

Another family member had earlier clarified the same position, dismissing social media rumours.

Gen. Tumwine who publicly justified the 2020 November bloodshed in Kampala was recently admitted at Nakasero Hospital, deep throat security and family sources had earlier told UG Standard.

The bush-war hero whose travels abroad for specialized treatment was blocked by several countries over sanctions impossible on him by the United States of America, Germany and other European countries has been unwell until when he was admitted for treatment.

When the UPDF Spokesperson, Brig Gen Felix Kulayigye was contacted to find out whether the general was responding to treatment, he said he doesn’t discuss health issues of individual army officers in the media.

“I don’t discuss one’s individual health conditions [in the media]” he is quoted by the authoritative Eagle Online.

Gen Tumwine was until June 2021 the security minister who oversaw the election security.

The US last year announced visa restrictions on Ugandan government officials accused of human rights violations and repressive acts during the January 14 general elections and campaign period.

President Yoweri Museveni has been in power for 36 years.

After the January 14 general election, he was declared the winner with 58 percent of the votes.

This election was highly contested, and Ugandan opposition leader Bobi Wine filed a challenge in the country’s Supreme Court seeking the cancellation of presidential election results declaring incumbent President Museveni the winner.

He withdrew the challenge later in February. Wine also asked the International Criminal Court to investigate President Yoweri Museveni, Security Minister Elly Tumwine and eight other senior officials for sanctioning human rights abuses.

During the campaign and election, opposition candidates were gravely harassed, arrested and held illegally without charge.

Security forces, cammanded by the now frail Gen as Security Minister were responsible for killing and injuring dozens of bystanders, opposition supporters and journalists. Civil society organizations and activists were also reportedly targeted with harassment, deportation and other acts.

The International Community denounced the Ugandan government’s actions during the campaign and election.

He called upon the government to “significantly improve its record and hold accountable those responsible for flawed conduct, violence, and intimidation,” stating that the US would continue to evaluate additional actions against other individuals.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

four × one =

The Latest

To Top