Makerere University among top ten Universities in Africa
Makerere University has been ranked the eighth best institution in Africa in the latest 2020 World University Rankings by the Centre for World University Ranking (CWUR).
According to the rankings released early this month, the university is also the best in East Africa, Central Africa and West Africa
The varsity’s only rivals are institutions from South Africa and Egypt.
The Center for World University Rankings 2020 were released on June 1 revealing that in Africa, the University of Cape Town is the best.
The rankings consider research publications, education and general performance of the institution.
Last year, another university ranking scheme, Webometrics, had place Makerere University in position 16 in Africa, a rank scale, which was largely attributed, to increasing strikes at the Ivory Tower.
However, with strikes waning at the university, officials say, Makerere is now eyeing the first slot in Africa, in terms of research and education.
Makerere University last week confirmed plans to reduce undergraduate admissions by 10 percent to increase its research capacity.
Mr. Yusuf Kiranda the acting University Secretary explains that much as Makerere University previously thought it was generating revenue from the big number of student admissions, the current student population of 35,000 is overstraining the university resources.
Makerere University has 760 PhDs out of the 1300 academic staff making it one of the universities with the highest quality of academic staff in Africa
“More than 60% of our staff now have PhDs, by the end of the SIDA program, 80% of our staff will have PhDs and everybody else have a masters,” said Professor Nawangwe in a recent interview.
Makerere University produces 3% of all the research produced in African.
“We are also ranked very highly in terms of all aspects of quality in research and training. They rank us as number five in the whole African continent,” Prof Nawangwe added.
Prof. Nawangwe said most of the research, 50% of it is coming out of the College of Health Sciences, then Agriculture is maybe 25% so, the two colleges account for 75%.
Latest list of top 30 Universities in Africa
1. University of Cape Town — South Africa
2. Witwatersrand University — South Africa
3. Stellenbosch University — South Africa
4. University of Pretoria — South Africa
5. University of Johannesburg — South Africa
6. Ain Shams University — Egypt
7. North-West University — South Africa
8. Makerere University — Uganda
9. Mohammed V University — Morocco
10. Hassan II Univ. of Casablanca — Morocco
11. Addis Ababa University — Ethiopia
12. University of the Western Cape — South Africa
13. University of Ibadan — Nigeria
14. Assiut University — Egypt
15. University of the Free State — South Africa
16. Suex Canal University — Egypt
19. Rhodes University — South Africa
18. University of Yaounde — Cameroun
19. University of Carthage — Tunisia
20. University of Ghana — Ghana
21. Fayoum University — Egypt
22. University of Nairobi — Kenya
23. Kwame Nkrumah University of
Science and Technology — Ghana
24. Tanta University — Egypt
25. Helwan University — Egypt
26. Beni Suef University — Egypt
27. Nelson Mandela University — South Africa
28. Menoufia University — Egypt
29. University of Zimbabwe — Zimbabwe
30 University of Gondar — Ethiopia
Pingback: Vote of no confidence in UNEB? Makerere more colleges introduce pre-entry examinations - Education News Uganda
Pingback: Forbes Magazine ranks Makerere University 2nd producing entrepreneurs in Africa - Education News Uganda